February 13, 2013

Sketches from NYFW #1 / How To Be Sick but Creative

Sketches | Jeremy Laing NYFW 2013
NYFW Sketch #1: Geometric Prints at Jeremy Laing 

It's been almost 3 months since I've had radioactive iodine treatment for my overactive thyroid, since then I've been recovering at home and dealing with the anxiety that comes with my hormones going haywire. I'm so thankful to be living in the age of the internet and to other sick people who have reached out to others using vlogs. It's so comforting to know other people are dealing with the same things and feeling the same way. It's hard to talk about your life when everything isn't going perfect.

It's hard to be sick, not just physically but it's also embarrassing in a way. You worry a lot about how other people think of you. Do people think you're lazy? You worry that everyone is going to forget about you because you never go out anymore. And you burn all the pots because you're so absent minded all the time.


Health issues aside, this is a really good time for me to concentrate on drawing and building up my portfolio which at the moment is just a sad jumble of drawings on Behance.

I've been drawing a lot more this past year and some people have noticed - thanks friends! Sketches mostly, what I'm missing are strong portfolio pieces. So I hoping to take these next few weeks to make some more editorial style illustration and experiment with layout and drawing styles, with inspiration from the continuous influx of images coming from fashion weeks happening around the globe.

So here's my first one - Jeremy Laing at NYFW 2013, I used to intern there when I lived in Toronto, it was my dream internship and I learned a lot there.
Here's to hoping and drawing these illustrations get better as the weeks go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment