March 10, 2015

Painting / Botanist

Kitty N. Wong / The Unhappy Botanist
The Unhappy Botanist, 2015.
Gouache, acrylic, pencil and paper collage.
39cm x 54cm

I always paint ladies but I'm really into the idea of painting some feminine fellas these days. I like how this portrait turned out a little bit androgynous. I was also inspired by this photo and from the anthurium flowers I took home after attending 'poon choi', a traditional Chinese New Year eating feast, at my friend's home village. Those flowers with their phallic baby corn stems always reminds me of Japanese minimalism in the 80's - my mom had all those flower arranging books in our basement.

Kitty N. Wong / The Unhappy Botanist
And now let us zoom up and in enjoy his chic and high as a kite expression for a second (that fitting description thanks to DK!).

And as always, make sure you subscribe, and if you loved this post please help me share it by clicking the social media buttons below!

No comments:

Post a Comment