July 31, 2017

Exhibition | Taste of Summer Fashion at K11 Art Mall

Artist girl Kitty N. Wong painting life size fruit inspired Fashion Illustration
Miss Fruity
It really has been forever since I updated my blog (one year almost to the day!), but I want to share with you guys one of my most exciting recent projects! It's an exhibition called The Taste of Summer Fashion and it's in collaboration with K11, a mall here in Hong Kong that combines shopping and art.

Hong Kong Street Food Illustration

Their team had seen my Hong Kong Street Food art print (above) and wanted something similar for their fashion event for summer. Since K11 prides itself on being the world's first Art Mall (they even have a Yinka Shonibare in the foyer) one of the mall's features are a group of these giant showcases built into each level of the shopping center and that was where I was going to exhibit my work.

Miss Tofu inside K11 Art exhibition
Photo courtesy of Object A

We decided on a Street Food x Fashion concept and I got to work sketching all 10 of the characters. I only had about 1 month for the project from conception to the final installation - so it was a bit crazy but I loved the feeling of diving into creating this world of characters.

Fashion Illustration pencil drafts

Fashion Illustration pencil and gouache rough draft

Egg Waffle food flatlay with Fashion Illustration

I've been watching a lot of Ru Paul's Drag Race this year so when coming up with the ideas for each character I would ask myself "If this was the theme for the runway challenge what would I make and wear?" 

Here are all the Misses I created for the exhibition each inspired by a food item commonly eaten here in Hong Kong:

Fashion Illustration collage
 Miss Peach Bun, Miss Ice Cream, Miss Iced Lemon Tea

 Miss Tofu Flower, Miss Egg Waffle, Miss French Toast
 Miss Tofu Flower, Miss Egg Waffle, Miss French Toast

Miss Siu Mai, Miss Egg Tart, Miss Fish Ball
Miss Siu Mai, Miss Egg Tart, Miss Fish Ball

K11 had a really sweet film crew and we created a few videos together, here is the most recent where I talk a little more about my inspirations for Miss French Toast and Miss Ice Cream, we're also doing a giveaway for a Taste of Summer Fashion sticker pack so don't forget to follow the instructions on their Facebook page to enter.











No comments:

Post a Comment